Foreign body ingestion
One of the biggest fears experienced by the parents is the fact that they stop breathing in their babies’ mouths, which can cause death. Among the causes of death in children under 1 year of age in children in the 5th place to be done during foreign body ingestion
Foreign body ingestion refers to foreign bodies in the gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines) and foreign body aspiration to the airway (trachea, main bronchi and small bronchial branches).
Foreign body ingestion
• Children take many materials to the mouth for curiosity or play, and sometimes because they are not suitable for their age, they cannot chew or feed food to young children. Children’s mobility is a common danger because children who are uncontrollable, such as running, laughing or crying, rather than sitting down while eating or playing games are common in children.
• It is the most risky age group for foreign body ingestion and aspiration between 6 months and 3 years of age. However, some foreign bodies have been swallowed or aspirated before and during the primary school age.
Young children tend to take all kinds of foreign bodies into their mouths and swallow due to their curiosity and research features. In addition, the number of teeth and the insufficiency of the structure of the food without chewing larger bites cause them to swallow. Although they have something in their mouths, they can continue to talk, laugh, run and play.
Dried Nuts And Toy Parts Creates Risk Especially in children between 1 and 2 years of age, foreign body ingestion and related breathing problems are common. The most common foreign bodies escaping the respiratory tract were; nuts, nuts, nuts such as nuts, raisins, uncooked food scraps and toy parts. Such foods and small pieces of toys / objects should not be given to children under 3 years of age. It should not be forgotten; Foreign bodies are among the causes of death in children under 1 year of age. Foreign bodies escaping to the respiratory system manifest themselves with sudden respiratory distress, bruising and coughing. In this case the child may be lost in seconds; the patient should be removed from the feet of the child by holding his feet upside down and down the back of the hand to help remove the object and breathing in the mouth of artificial respiration should be started from the mouth.
Batteries And Magnet Parts May Cause Intestinal Punctures
Most of the ingested objects that escaped into the digestive system are removed through the intestines without damaging the child. Foreign bodies which may cause poisoning and sticking are identified and early extraction should be carried out. Children often swallow items such as toy parts, metal coins, nails, screws, batteries. Liquid foreign bodies such as descaling agents, detergents, softeners used in cleaning may cause damage to the esophagus and stomach or cause poisoning depending on the acidic or basic substance content they contain. A large part of the solid foreign bodies ingested is attached to the starting part of the esophagus. Objects that pass through the esophagus and reach the stomach often go smoothly
Rarely, long / wide objects may be inserted at the gastric outlet or at the small intestine junction. The objects attached to the digestive system have the risk of being troublesome by chemical or mechanical means. Particularly, batteries and magnet parts can cause serious problems such as intestinal punctures, so they must be removed immediately. While the frequency of ingestion of foreign bodies is found to be up to 4%, it is most commonly encountered in the process of ingesting metal. This condition is frequently seen in children between 6 months and 4 years.
foreign body ingestion symptoms
Attention to sudden bruising, coughing and respiratory distress Foreign bodies in the esophagus; symptoms such as difficulty in swallowing, food rejection, excessive drooling, weight loss, vomiting, chest pain, sore throat, cough, unexplained fever and changes in consciousness are determined. While the child’s examination may not detect anything, the most important diagnostic tool is suspicion, especially when playing, such as sudden bruising, coughing, respiratory distress, etc. are important. The patient admitted to the hospital with a history of foreign body ingestion under anesthesia under anesthesia.
An illuminated camera system examines the airways or esophagus of the child and removes the foreign body with special devices. Children with early diagnosis and foreign bodies may be discharged immediately, long-term hospitalizations and treatments may be required in patients with late presentation or foreign body damage. The way to protect children from problems related to foreign bodies is not to restrict children’s movements, but to remove foreign dangerous objects from children.
Watch out for toys
• The most frequently ingested foreign bodies are coins, muscles, small toy parts, fruit cores, small disk-shaped batteries. The most common foreign body aspirations are dried nuts (leblebi, hazelnut, peanut, kernel), corn, pulses, small toy pieces. In primary school children, pen back covers are among the objects that are frequently aspirated. A small piece of corn can stop breathing
• Problems vary according to the foreign body that is swallowed and the area where it is attached. The coin in the esophagus, a toy piece or a large fruit core prevent the child from swallowing the saliva and dribble from the mouth. Food will not be able to swallow the mouth out.
• Disc-shaped batteries are alkaline batteries and cause deep burns in the esophagus unless they are removed within 24 hours, there may be a puncture in the esophagus or difficulty in swallowing due to constriction in the area where it is located. A foreign body attached to the exit of the stomach causes vomiting. Again the batteries form burns and carry vital risk.
• Foreign body aspirations and respiratory tract complaints are also seen. A large foreign body may remain between the vocal cords or block the main airway, causing suffocation. Foreign bodies in the airways can lead to frequent coughing, lung infection, and irreversible damage to the lung if not noticed.
May not show
• Foreign body ingestion may not produce any symptoms. Foreign bodies can sometimes be noticed too late or by chance. The coin that remains in the esophagus for a long time may cause swallowing, swallowing or chest pain in the child. Foreign body aspirations, as well as treatment despite the improvement of pneumonia, frequent and irritable cough and sometimes bruising is seen. Evaluate complaints well
• The ingested object is seen in the chest or abdominal X-ray taken to the metals. If a plastic or organic foreign body is swallowed, it is not seen on direct radiographs. For this purpose, upper gastrointestinal system endoscopy can be used directly by barium (ophthalmic x-ray x-ray) radiographs or directly. The endoscopy procedure serves both diagnosis and treatment. If a foreign body is seen in the same session, it can be removed with foreign body holders.
• Diagnosis is more difficult in foreign body aspiration. As aspirated foreign bodies are usually food, they are not seen directly on X-rays. Some findings and changes in lung x-rays indicate foreign body aspiration. These should be well evaluated. The detailed examination of the patient’s history and the evaluation of their complaints is guiding.
Get it to the doctor now
• The most important thing for families is to consult a health institution immediately if a foreign body swallowing or aspiration is seen by a person. The necessary intervention for these patients is carried out by pediatric surgeons. Hence, hospitals with Pediatric Surgery Clinic should be preferred.
Measures to be taken against foreign body ingestion
• Keep in mind that young children take everything to their mouths. Therefore, caution should be exercised when selecting toys. Children under 3 years of age should not be given toys because small pieces of toys are particularly risky for aspiration.
• Dried nuts in the home should not be left around, should not be fed to children under 1 year old.
• The most dangerous age group in terms of aspiration is the young children of the age group who are fed unsuitable food.
• No coin, disc-shaped battery, or toys that use such batteries should be allowed to play with children. Especially in the hands of a child without such a large battery or toys should be left in the hands of children.• Elementary school children may swallow more school items. Pencil sharpener, eraser, caps on the back of the pen and even colored hoods are dangerous for this age group. It is necessary to explain to the children who understand that they should not be taken into the mouth.
• When a foreign body is seen in the mouth of the child, it is necessary to take it from the mouth without a panic. During a sudden laughing, crying or running, the foreign body in the mouth may escape into the esophagus or trachea.
• Home-made liquid or granular cleaning agents, dishwashing powders and polishers should be stored in safe-lid containers, not in pet bottles in normal use and should not be accessible to children.
• Children may wonder about the objects that will never come to mind. At an early age, they are all potentially dangerous. Foreign body aspirations and swallowing are the most important causes of preventable home accidents. With simple precautions, attention and not leaving children alone, many accidents can be avoided. It should be kept in mind that some of these accidents can result in death or organ damage that requires prolonged treatment. Protecting children who have a long life expectancy and those we love so much are among the most important responsibilities of the families.
Our previous article Developmental Characteristics of Children with Down Syndrome in the title down syndrome children information is provided..