Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency in Children.
All these doom and gloom predictions on Vitamin D deficiency will get any parent concerned for their child’s well-being. When should you suspect a deficiency? Vitamin D, which has important tasks in all age groups, is not a simple vitamin. Vitamin D allows calcium to be retained in the bones, bone maturation and strengthening. This is also necessary for the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. It also strengthens the immune system and is involved in the production of certain hormones. Increases the production of some protective substances in the respiratory system, creates a protective effect against lung and respiratory tract infections
If your child adheres to the risk factors previously discussed it may be worth-while to have your child’s physician investigate your concern.
In cases of vitamin D deficiency, slow growth, late walking, delayed teething, and more frequent infection are observed in infants and children. In adults, bone and muscle pain, walking, climbing stairs, weakness in activities such as fatigue problems occur quickly.
Other symptoms of a Vitamin D deficiency in children are:
- Muscle spasm ( due to lack of calcium) are sometimes the first indication of the next symptom,
- Rickets – a condition in which the bones of a child is soft and can become mis-formed and fracture easily.
- Infants with Rickets often have a soft skull and fontanelle’s fail to close. (Fontanelle’s are holes between the scull bones which normally close around 12 to 14 months of age.)
- Older babies with Rickets start to sit and crawl late.
- Children between 1 and4 years may be slow to walk. Walking may be painful.
- Bone deformities may occur such as knock knees or an abnormally curved spine or legs.
- Fractures may occur easily.
- Teething may be delayed.
- Breathing problems could occur due to weakened chest muscles and a soft rib-cage.
These symptoms are not always easy to pin-point until the deficiency has become severe.
Our previous article Vitamin D and Breastfeeding in the title mother milk vitamin d, Vitamin D ve vitamin d precautions information is provided..Incoming search terms: Vitamin D deficiency, vitamin d deficiency symptoms children