Before newborn baby bathing, there are couples of things that you should keep in mind. For the first week until the umbilical cord stump falls off and the area heals, it is best to give the newborn sponge baths with a lukewarm, moistened wash cloth. Frequently wash his face, hands and very gently after each diaper change.
When the umbilical cord stump dries up, the area is healed, your baby is ready for tub bath. As the baby is too small, so the best place to give tub bath is the kitchen sink or the little plastic bath tubs. Some parents think that, everyday bath is good for the newborn and it pleasures them. But the fact is daily bath isn’t really essential for the newborn baby bathing . Once or twice a week is good is good enough.
You might feel scared while you are giving the first tub bath as you will find the baby moving around so much. The handling of the baby might be tough but after practice, you’ll be ok. So while giving the baby a bath, stay calm and get a good grip on him.
Warm water is comforting for some babies. If the baby finds the warm water comforting then let him enjoy the water. However, other babies will cry in the warm water. If that happens, then you should take the baby in and out of the water.
Before washing the newborn baby bath safety
You need to maintain some safety rules while you giving bath to the newborn. Believe it or not, but these are must do things that you should maintain.
- Before newborn baby bathing DO NOT leave your baby alone in the tub, even for a single minute. If you need to be away for the baby for even one minute while he is in the tub, then get him out of the water and take him with you.
- NEVER put the baby in the tub while the water is running. The temperature might change or the depth might be too high.
- Always set the water temperature not more then 120 degrees Fahrenheit or 48 Celsius. A child can receive third degree burn in 150 degree Fahrenheit with in a minute.
Giving newborn baby a bath
- Assemble the bath necessaries while you giving bath to the baby.
- You need to fill the tub with 2 to 3 inch of warm water but make sure it’s not hot. The water temperature should be something like 90 degree Fahrenheit or 32 degree Celsius.
- Undress your baby and put him in the bath. If he cries through the bath time then leave the diaper on him, it will give him an improved sense of security in the water.
- Put the baby in the tub and use your one hand to support his head and neck and use other hand to pour cupful of bath water over him so he doesn’t get cold.
- Always use easygoing soap and use it very cautiously. Too much soap may dries out the baby’s skin. Wash the baby’s scalp with washed and soft clothes, use cotton balls to clean the gentle areas. As your baby is gentle, you don’t need all the scrubbing, just gentle wash will do the washing job done.
- Babies are slippery while they are wet, so make sure you have a good grip while giving the bath and taking him out of the tub. Use your hand to support his neck and head when taking the baby out of the water and hold the baby with soft, clean towel.
- Try to put the baby in hooded towel and pat him dry. DO NOT try to rub him dry, as his skins are still gentle. If the dead skins are coming off from the birth then put moistening lotion on him gently. Make sure the dead skin comes off, not the dry skin.
That’s about sums it up. I am again mentioning the part where you don’t put your baby alone in the tub for even one minute. Stay focused and concentrated while giving the baby a bath.
How to wash newborn baby Clothes?
At some point a question must arise about the right technique to wash baby cloth. Most of the parents don’t know about the right way of washing baby clothes.
- Normal detergents usually irritate the soft skin of kids. In the market, there are a few detergents that are especially intended for infant’s clothing and every parents need to use them for ensuring the good health of their kids. Beside these you can use those types of mild detergent which is free from preservative colors and smells.
- Most of the moms are in thoughts that, is it right to wash their baby clothes with family clothes. There is no purpose to concern about this and it is completely secure to wash kids’ clothes with other members’ clothes. Only exception of this rule is for diapers (clothes). And must wash those more than one times.
If you can follow the above rules then there is no reason to worry about the clothes of your baby.
Our previous article Twin Baby Care - The Best Practices in the title Having Twin Baby ve twin baby care information is provided..